Low Income Assistance for Veterans

Veterans who are low-income may have difficulty paying their monthly bills. Low income can result from being in between jobs, not being able to find a job paying a good enough salary or other factors. It can be stressful to find yourself in this situation, no matter the cause. There are programs that can help veterans with low incomes.

Cost of living increases each month but salaries do not keep pace. It is difficult for many people to find jobs that pay enough to cover their monthly bills. Many government programs are available to assist those with low incomes. These programs can be a great help in meeting your monthly needs. Charity organizations across the country offer additional assistance to veterans with low income.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Veterans with at least one dependent minor child can qualify for cash assistance under the TANF program. The program offers monthly cash assistance to those who qualify. Cash can be used to pay for many living expenses including rent, clothing, food and transportation. Those without minor children at home can qualify for General Assistance, which is provided in some states under the TANF program. You must meet certain income requirements to qualify for TANF. This low-income assistance can be applied for at your local office of social services, or online in some states.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

SNAP (formerly food stamps) is available to those who require assistance in obtaining food every month. In some states the program is known by a different name, like CalFresh for California. The program gives those who qualify a monthly grant they can use at the supermarket or farmer’s markets to buy food. You must meet low-income requirements, be a legal immigrant or citizen to qualify for SNAP. Your monthly grant is determined by the number of dependents you have in your household, as well as your income. SNAP applications can be submitted at the local social services office. Some states also offer online applications.

Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

HUD, the federal housing department, may be able to help veterans with low income who are in need of housing assistance. The HUD program helps people find affordable housing, pay rent, prevent foreclosure, get necessary home repairs and avoid foreclosure. You can also find Section 8 housing and public housing in your area. You must meet certain income requirements to qualify for HUD’s programs. You must first speak to a HUD counselor who will assess your housing needs and current situation before you can apply.

Lifeline Assistance

Most people consider a telephone essential, even if it is only to use in an emergency. Veterans who are in need of financial assistance to pay their phone bills may be eligible for the Lifeline Assistance Program. You will have to pay only $9.25 a month for your phone if you are approved for this program. The government will cover the rest with a monthly grant.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

LIHEAP may provide grants to those who are in need of financial assistance with their energy bills. The program assists people in paying their heating bills across the nation, as well as cooling bills in certain states. The grant will be paid directly to you by your energy provider. You must meet certain income requirements to qualify. Each year, you will have to apply for the program. You can either apply online or in person at the local community action center.

Catholic Charities

This charity has locations all over the country. It is one of the top charities for low-income assistance for veterans. The charity will provide a place to live, hot meals, food boxes, addiction programs, emergency assistance and some locations offer assistance with paying bills. Find out what programs are offered by the location nearest you.