The United States recognizes and appreciates the sacrifices its veterans and their families made to safeguard the nation. These brave men and women have selflessly served our country in the armed forces during peacetime and wartime, and we owe them our safety, freedom, and way of life. To honor and support veterans, the federal government offers a range of grants that can help them find employment, start businesses, buy homes, and receive quality healthcare.
College Grants for Veterans (Education and Career Training)
There are six primary grants provided by the federal government to assist veterans in affording college education or career training: Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (MGIB-AD), Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP), Post-Vietnam Era Educational Assistance Program (VEAP), and VOW to Hire Heroes Veterans Retraining Assistance Program. Veterans can apply for these benefits online at the VA website, in-person at a VA Office or with a VA Certifying Official, or by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1.
Small Business Grants for Veterans
The Small Business Administration (SBA) offers small business loans and grants to all Americans, including veterans. More information can be found at FederalGrants.com. However, the Veterans Administration does not provide small business grants to veterans. To discover what grants are available specifically to veterans who want to start their own business, see the grant list at the bottom of this page.
Veteran Housing Grants
The U.S. government offers two grants to help disabled veterans buy a home or modify an existing home to meet their health needs. The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant provides monetary assistance to veterans with certain disabilities so they can construct a new home or remodel an existing house to live independently. The Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant is for veterans wishing to purchase a home already adapted to their disability or to adapt an existing home owned by the veteran or a family member of the veteran. Links to apply for these veteran housing grants online are available: SAH Application and SHA Application.
Moreover, veterans can benefit from home mortgage loans with more favorable financing terms than those offered by private banks. The Veterans Benefits Administration offers four programs to assist with this: VA Home Purchase Loans, VA Cash-Out Refinance Loans, Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loans, and the Native American Direct Loan Program.
Veteran Health Grants
All veterans (excluding dishonorably discharged individuals) are eligible for healthcare benefits from the U.S. government. The Department of Veterans Affairs provides these services, which include hospital care, outpatient services, medical specialty services, dental and vision care, and preventive care. If a medical condition is related to their service and income limits are met, the healthcare services are provided for free. A copay may be required if the condition is not service-related. Veterans can apply online via the VA website, by phone, by mail, or in person.
List of Grants for Veterans
Aside from the grants for education, business, housing, and healthcare, there are other grants available to veterans of America’s military or organizations that aid veterans. Only veteran grants with a deadline of today or later are included in the list.
- American Lobster Research Program 2023
Deadline: May 10th, 2023
- Staff Mentorship to the Somali National Army (SNA) HQ and SNA-Danab
Deadline: May 8th, 2023
- Staff Sergeant Fox Suicide Prevention Grant Program
Deadline: May 19th, 2023
- U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences Broad Agency Announcement for Basic Research (Fiscal Year 2024)
Deadline: July 15th, 2023
- Fiscal Year (FY) 2024 Department of Defense Multidisciplinary Research Program of the University Research Initiative (MURI)- Army Submission
Deadline: September 8th, 2023
- The Gus Schumacher Nutrition Incentive Program Produce Prescription Program
Deadline: May 16th, 2023
- THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE (DoD) FISCAL YEAR 2024 DEFENSE UNIVERSITY RESEARCH INSTRUMENTATION PROGRAM (DURIP)- ARMY SUBMISSION
Deadline: May 12th, 2023
- Military Health System Research (MHSR)
Deadline: September 30th, 2023
- FY23 Dept of Navy (DoN) Science Technology Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) Education and Workforce Program
Deadline: September 1st, 2023
- Devcom Army Research Laboratory Broad Agency Announcement For Foundational Research
Deadline: November 20th, 2027
- Long Range Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for Navy and Marine Corps Science and Technology
Deadline: October 2nd, 2023
- FY2023 National Sea Grant College Program Special Projects
Deadline: September 30th, 2023
- US Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (DEVCOM) Indo-Pacific Fundamental Research Collaboration Opportunities
Deadline: August 30th, 2027
- Veterans Cemetery Grants
Deadline: July 1st, 2023
- Armed Forces Pest Management Board (afpmb)
Deadline: October 31st, 2024
- US Army Combat Capabilities Development Command Broad Agency Announcement
Deadline: February 28th, 2025
- UNITED STATES MILITARY ACADEMY Broad Agency Announcement
Deadline: March 31st, 2025
- Army Applications Lab Broad Agency Announcement For Disruptive Applications
Deadline: May 1st, 2024