Rent Assistance for Veterans

Experts say that your rent shouldn’t exceed 25% of your monthly income. Rent continues to increase, but wages do not. It can be stressful for people who are struggling to pay their rent and have a shortfall each month. Rent assistance is available for veterans. Rent assistance programs can help you pay your bills and reduce stress.

Federal and state governments fund the most popular rent assistance program for veterans. These programs are for those with low incomes who need help. These programs are primarily designed to prevent homelessness. Some charities will also help you pay your rent and other bills if financial hardships have struck. You can contact several programs to find out if you qualify for assistance.

Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Rent assistance is most commonly offered by federally-funded programs through HUD. These programs help people find affordable housing, locate Section 8 housing or public housing near them, avoid foreclosure and make necessary home repairs. These programs can also assist you in paying your rent, if you’re having trouble. These programs are offered across the country. You must be low-income to qualify. 

You must first meet with a HUD counselor to apply for HUD rent assistance. The counselor will evaluate your financial situation and housing needs. They will then guide you through the entire application process if they believe you qualify for the program. You do not have to pay a fee to apply and you will never be required to repay any assistance that you receive.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

The program provides cash assistance to people who qualify. You can use the cash you receive to pay your bills, such as rent or any other housing expense. You must have at least one child under 18 living in your home to qualify for this program. Also, you must be eligible for the program and have a low income. You can be either a legal immigrant or a citizen. 

You may qualify for General Assistance through the same program if you don’t have minor children living in your home. Individuals can receive cash assistance through the GA program. Both programs have a limit on how long you can receive assistance. Some states also allow online applications. You can apply through your local social service office.

Local Public Housing Authority

Each state has its own Local Public Housing Authority. These programs will assist people in finding affordable housing. Rent assistance is also available. The eligibility requirements include a low-income, citizenship, and a proof of identification. Find your Local Public Housing Authority on the map and contact them for assistance with rent for veterans.

Catholic Charities

The organization is affiliated with churches all over the country. This is one of the most well-known organizations that helps people in need. They provide food assistance, emergency services and, in some areas, rent assistance. Contact the nearest office to ask about rent assistance. The majority of charities who offer help do not require a lengthy application process. However, you still have to prove your financial need.