Financial Assistance Programs for Senior Veterans

Many seniors struggle to pay their bills each month due to the rising cost of healthcare and other expenses. Senior veterans can face a stressful situation if they have difficulty paying their monthly heating bill or for their prescriptions. There are programs that provide financial assistance to senior veterans. They can make it easier for them to pay their bills each month.

According to the National Council on Aging (NCA), around 25 million seniors are economically insecure in the United States. They are unable to meet their basic needs because they don’t have the money. Seniors often choose to live without things that they need because they can’t afford them. Senior veterans can reduce stress and meet their basic needs by contacting financial assistance programs.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Veterans in need of food assistance may be eligible for SNAP. SNAP, formerly known as food stamps or food vouchers, provides those who are eligible with a monthly grant to be used at a grocery store or farmers’ market. 

Your grant amount depends on your income and the number of dependents you have in your home. You must meet low-income requirements and be a legal immigrant or citizen to qualify for SNAP. Contact your local social service office to apply for food aid through SNAP.

Lifeline Assistance

Even if you only use it for emergencies, having a telephone is essential. The federally-funded Lifeline Assistance Program offers phone bill assistance to senior veterans. The government will pay the remaining $9.25 for those who qualify for the program. This program makes it easier for older veterans to afford a phone.

General Assistance

Many states provide cash assistance for those without dependent children. This is done through a program known as General Assistance. It’s part of a nationwide program called Temporary Assistance For Needy Families. The program offers cash assistance to pay for living expenses such as food, rent, transportation and bills. 

General Assistance is not offered in all states, but it’s available in many. You must meet low-income guidelines and be either a legal immigrant or a citizen to qualify. Ask your local social service office if your state offers a General Assistance Program.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Veterans over 65 can receive financial help through this federally funded program. This program offers financial assistance for veterans to pay their energy bills. The program is also known as the Home Energy Assistance Program in some states. You can apply for assistance during certain application windows. 

If you are eligible, they’ll pay your energy provider on your behalf. The majority of the time, they offer a one-time payment per year or season. To receive more financial aid, you will have to apply each year. You must meet income requirements to qualify for LIHEAP for veterans. LIHEAP can also assist with weatherization, and pay for repairs and replacements of heating and cooling systems. Contact your local community center or social service office to find out more about how to apply.

Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Veterans who require housing assistance can receive financial aid through HUD. This federally funded program helps prevent homelessness. The program helps veterans find affordable housing, pay rent, prevent foreclosure and get necessary home repairs. You must meet certain income requirements to qualify for HUD’s programs. Contact the HUD office in your area to apply for financial assistance for veterans.