Financial Assistance Programs for Disabled Veterans

Nearly 4 million veterans are estimated to have disabilities related to their service. It means they either developed a disability while they served in the military or acquired one later. Veterans with disabilities may find it hard to obtain a job which will allow them to pay their monthly expenses. There are programs that provide financial assistance to disabled veterans. These programs can be a great help in meeting their monthly needs.

It may be more difficult for a veteran to perform the duties of many jobs. It can cause financial difficulties for disabled veterans. They will have to use financial assistance programs designed for disabled veterans in order to make ends meet every month. The federal government funds the majority of financial assistance programs.

Social Security

Veterans with disabilities may be eligible for a cash grant each month through the Social Security Administration. Federally-funded program that helps those who have been disabled for at least one year. You must be 18 years of age, not already receive Social Security and be unable to work because of a disability. You will be asked to enter your Social Security Number, the names and dates of birth of your minor children and information about your health condition. You can apply by phone, online or in person.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Veterans with disabilities are usually eligible for food assistance from the federal government. Those who are eligible for SNAP receive a monthly grant which can be used at the grocery store or farmers’ market. You can apply for SNAP either at the local social services office or online through your state’s SNAP agency. SNAP was formerly called food stamps. Some states refer to SNAP as food stamps, food assistance or food assistance.

Disability Compensation

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers disability compensation. Veterans who are disabled or have suffered military injuries can receive compensation. When applying for the program, you will be required to provide your medical records and military records. Online applications are available for the program.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Veterans with at least one minor child living in their home can qualify for cash assistance under the TANF program. Veterans without a minor dependent child may be eligible for General Assistance under the TANF Program. 

The duration of the program is usually set at six months. You must meet low-income requirements and be a legal immigrant or citizen to qualify. You can either apply in person by visiting your local social service office or online through the TANF website of your state.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Veterans with disabilities may be eligible for assistance in paying their energy bills. LIHEAP offers grants to pay energy bills for people with low incomes. The program pays a one-time payment to your energy supplier on your behalf. You must meet certain income requirements to qualify. You can apply for the LIHEAP grant through your local community center. You will be required to apply for a grant in most states. LIHEAP grants can be reapplied for every year.

Lifeline Assistance

Phone grants are provided by the federal government to assist those who have a low monthly income to be able afford a telephone. The government will cover the remaining $9.25 of the monthly phone cost for those who qualify.