Medical Bills Assistance Programs for Veterans

Many veterans in America may require assistance with their medical bills. The cost of healthcare continues to increase in the United States, making it more difficult to pay. Health insurance is supposed to be affordable by all, but that’s not the case. There are programs that can help veterans pay their medical bills.

A minor illness can result in a large medical bill. Veterans may be in a difficult situation if they are unable to pay their medical bills. Most of the medical assistance programs are funded by federal governments. There are also state-run programs and nonprofit organizations that offer assistance.

U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)

Veterans with a condition related to their military service may be eligible for free healthcare. You may be required to pay a copay for your health care depending on your condition. However, the rest of the bill is covered by the federal government. You must meet military service requirements and undergo an income verification to qualify for free VA health care. You may not be required to pay co-payments if you have both private health insurance and VA health care assistance.

Financial Hardship

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs offers a Financial Harm program to help pay bills. The program may provide assistance to those who have difficulty paying medical bills. The program will pay medical co-pays for those who are eligible. 

The program also offers a monthly payment schedule for those with medical bills that need a longer period to pay. VA Financial Hardship also offers a waiver of existing debts for those who are eligible. You can apply in person for Financial Hardship Assistance or mail it.


Medicaid is a federally funded health care program that covers the entire country. For those who meet the requirements, Medicaid offers free or almost free health care. Veterans who are eligible for the health program may receive assistance with their medical bills. Programs include dental, vision, and hospital care as well as doctor’s visits. Medicaid is only available to those who meet certain income requirements.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

For those who meet eligibility requirements, the federal government offers cash assistance. The TANF will give a cash grant each month to those who qualify, including being a low-income citizen or legal alien. Cash grants can be used for a wide range of expenses, such as paying medical bills. Veterans who require assistance in paying medical bills could qualify for the TANF. Some states also allow you to submit an online application. 

The TANF program requires that you have a minor child at home. Veterans without a child under the age of 18 should contact their local social service office to inquire about the General Assistance Program. Some states have a General Assistance Program that provides cash grants or one-time grants for those who are in need but do not have minor children at home.